Guimaras (part 2): The Island Tour.

Trappist Monastery

After lunch at The Pitstop, our tour guide slash driver brought us to the Trappist Monastery.

T and I gave a donation to the monastery and each lighted a candle before going in.

According to our tourist guide, the Trappist Monastery is the only male monastery in the Philippines under the Cistercian Order.

After saying our prayers, we went to the Gift Shop to buy pasalubong/gifts for family and friends.

There was a big cat outside the store that they say belongs to the head monk of the monastery.

It was so cute, T and I couldnt help but pet it.

I wanted to buy almost everything in the gift shop. They all looked so yummy!

Plus, our driver said that the monks use the income derived from the store to help the people of Guimaras.. One really good reason to support their products.

After the Trappist Monastery, our guide continued to drive us along the highway where we saw acres and acres of mango plantations.

After a few minutes, he stopped again. I wondered why because there was really nothing in our midst. And then he pointed to our right and I was begotten with what I saw!

The Beach

After 20 minutes, we were in Alubihod Beach. We got a room in Raymen Beach Resort for our things. They don't have an hourly rate so we paid for a regular stay. Looking back, we should've just stayed overnight.

We got the island hopping tour and boat from the resort as well.

Guess who came along!

The sun was up and the water was so inviting!

But not far off, we saw rain.

The stone formations we passed reminded me of Coron (read my blog posts about our recent Coron trip).

Floating Laboratory

Our first stop was a floating laboratory in the middle of the ocean. T and I found this concept pretty cool.

T chatted with the guide, who explained to us the different kinds of fish that they had.

He also showed us charts and photos.

The laboratory is under the Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC).

We first went to the area where the seahorses were.

Before I get comments about animal rights, we were assured that the seahorse can be taken out of the water for a minute or two!

There are shells around the area because SEAFDEC also studies giant clams.

On the way back, I spotted this. One of my favorite photos ever!

Next, we went to the fish pens.

The main attraction of the floating laboratory is the giant grouper.

The guide pointed to the water but all T and I saw were small fish.

We thought that was it but then we saw a big black shadow!

And another one!

20 year old 120-kilo carnivorous fishies that no researcher can handle because they were too fierce! Remembering what the guide said might happen if I fell into the groupers' pen accidentally gives me goosebumps until now.

Despite being around the carnivorous groupers, the lionfish goes unharmed.

We went to the other pens to look at the seabass and they gave me the creeps, too.

The seabass were like zombie fish with beady eyes following us wherever we go. I think they know that I eat their kin.

On the other side of the pens, I saw a long bridge connecting the floating laboratory to another area.

T and I went there to check it out before leaving for our next stop.

Turtle Island

By the time we got near Turtle Island, it was already raining. My usual reckless self would've just continued anyway, even in our little boat. But for the first time, I got scared at sea when I saw lightning and heard roaring thunder. I just took a photo (can you see how the island is shaped like a turtle?) and asked our boatmen to go back to the resort.


It stopped raining after a bit but it was too late to go island hopping again. So we just asked our driver to bring us to the market for some mango shopping.

T and I bought a box of mangoes to bring home.


On the way back to Iloilo Airport, we were supposed to eat the infamous batchoy in La Paz. But since we were too tired, we just asked our driver to bring us straight to the airport.

Fortunately, the restaurant in the airport also serves batchoy. I'm sure it wasn't half as good as the authentic batchoy in La Paz but T and I were ok with it.

After eating, T and I stayed to watch Jaworski deliver his retirement speech on TV (while Stitch was just lying around).

T and I were so tired and exhausted, as you can see from our faces. But this trip was a fun and memorable experience for us nonetheless. Yes, a day trip from Manila is
possiblebut not recommended.
Lesson learned: Spend at least a night next time ;)

The End.

Trip Date: 8 July 2012

Part 1 - Mango Capital of the Philippines
Part 2 - The Island Tour


  1. wow, i miss batchoy!

    hirap naman ng ginawa nyo :D tama, dapat at least overnight!

  2. Wow! Guimaras really looks like an awesome and relaxing place to visit. It's nice to see that there are still parts of the Philippines that are well preserved :)

  3. Whoa! That's one big fish. I'm scared of huge fishes. It creeps me out lang. =(

  4. I love the concept of the floating laboratory! :D Tiring as it was, at least you were able to utilize the whole day. Take care and cheers to more travels. :)

  5. Great photos and great location!

    Also, thank you so much for the lovely comment!
    My Lyfe ; My Story

  6. Pretty pictures.. the beach look so calm despite the forming storm.. envious hehe

  7. JESSICA. True. Lucky we had a sunny morning ti mid afternoon :)


Thank you for the love!

I enjoy meeting fellow bloggers and readers from all over so feel free to comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can :)

♥ joei